Get photos you can use right now using the tips and guides below to take your own DIY food shots with your smartphone. Focus on capturing close up shots of new food service options and avoid trying to capture large indoor spaces unless you have professional experience and a lighting setup.
- Always use natural window light and turn off ALL artificial lighting!
- Diffuse the window light with a skrim of some kind (a white sheer curtain works) and use a white board to soften shadows.
- Keep the message simple–do not overcrowd the plate. Less is more.
- The tighter the subject, the better chance you will have of getting a great picture.
- Check out these posts on the Jumping Rocks blog for more detailed guidance and tips: Awesome Food Photos with ANY Camera: 11 Tips and Innovation and Inspiration in the “Covid-19 World”